1. This document sets out the policies of the Cuvier Club, herein “The Club” regarding the protection of the rights of persons to privacy. Its purpose is to explain to contacts and all others who deal with The Club what types of personal information The Club collects and how that information is used.
2. This policy reflects no commitment by, nor is it binding upon any party or parties other than The Club.
3. At times, The Club collects certain personal information about people with whom it deals, either in their personal capacities or as representatives of client institutions, suppliers or other businesses. Such people are referred to in this policy as “The Club’s contacts” or as simply as “contacts”.
4. The Club collects identifiable personal data as well as non-identifiable personal information. Items of identifiable personal information, such as names and contact details, are collected and used as a matter of course in The Club’s daily work. Often a person’s identifiable personal information includes the role or roles the person plays on behalf of his or her employer in the employer’s business relationship with The Club.
Collection of Personal Data
5. The Club collects personal data about contacts. Contacts include those employees of client institutions with whom The Club will deal in the normal course of business. Contacts also include persons within supplier and other organizations with which The Club has a business relationship – i.e. persons that suppliers, including self-employed consultants and contractors, or other organizations such as government departments or statutory bodies have appointed to deal with The Club.
6. The Club does not collect personal information about end users of client institution’s networks.
Use of Personal Data
7. The Club uses personal information to ensure effective business communications with contact persons that represent client institutions, suppliers and other organizations with which The Club has dealings.
8. In its capacity as the agent of client institutions, The Club provides personal information about contact persons of client institutions to suppliers, where the supplier needs to use this information to communicate directly with the client institution.
9. The Club respects the privacy of the individual and undertakes to protect the confidentiality of personal information about contacts that is supplied in the course of business relationships with The Club. The Club undertakes to use personal information solely for the purposes described above, and will not otherwise, unless legally obliged to do so, provide personal information to third parties.
Reservation of Rights
10. The Club reserves the right to disclose personal information in its pos-session where it is required to do so by law or to exercise its legal rights or to defend itself against legal claims.